The beetroot bulb is one root vegetable that’s not new on the block. Infact it has become one of the popular superfoods in the last decade or so. Whether you blend it into a bowl of soup, eat it raw, or drink it as a juice, it will be the healthiest choice you make. Highly nutritious and an excellent source of vitamins and minerals, the beetroot gets its colour from the Betalain pigment, which has anti-inflammatory properties. This being just one of the health benefits of beet juice.
Some of the benefits of the Beetroot Juice are:
- Beet juice benefits in lowering blood pressure as it contains nitrates which when mixed with blood convert to nitric acid. This in turn, is known to help widen and relax the blood vessels, therefore preventing hypertension and stabilizing blood pressure.
- The red colour present in the beetroot contains iron that boosts the regeneration of red blood cells. The vitamins present in the vegetable promotes iron absorption as well.
- Numerous studies conducted, have proven that there is an increase in the oxygen intake by a whopping 16% in those who consume beetroot juice. This makes it an excellent drink for athletes in need of more endurance and stamina. The beet juice benefits athletes as it also contains carbohydrates that produce energy for prolonged sports activities.
- The Magnesium and Potassium present in Beetroot, helps the body detox and prevents bloating by flushing out excess water, in turn boosting metabolism and shedding excess weight.
- Another health benefit of beetroot juice is that it helps in lowering the risk of heart disease and stroke, as it is rich in Potassium, which relaxes the blood vessels and reduces blood pressure, thus maintaining a healthy heart.
Concoctions of beetroot with other fruits and vegetables, prove to have more significant health benefits, rather than having the simple old beet.
The miracle drink – a mix of carrots, apples, beetroot and small portions of ginger, helps in making the body more alkaline, hence detoxifying the body. This drink makes for an excellent juice cleanse.
The antioxidant property of beet juice benefits the skin and can prevent it from being exposed to damage of the free radicals, hence preventing early ageing, pigmentation and wrinkles on the skin.
Rich in iron, the beetroot helps in regeneration of blood cells. The presence of a flavonoid – betacyanin is also known to stall the growth of tumours in the body. Though there is no real proof of the juice mixture being able to cure cancer, numerous studies show that it has been able to slow down the growth of cancerous cells. Go ahead, drink a glass every day and be at the pink of your health!